I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 21 July 2024

Bitov

out. 


Definite route barre

Another day, another climb. 

One day I'll write a post about setting up and striking camp. Today I'll just tell you that I spent 15 minutes trying to extract a horsefly from between the inner and outer tent. I think it just wanted to sleep there so it could bite me when I unpacked. After my successful insect freeing campaign I ate a quick nutritious breakfast of rice pudding and banana then happily headed into the village to pick up my route. Only there was a problem. The road was very closed. I and many others checked this but yes, indeed, there was no way past.  The alternative route didn't add much onto the distance and probably didn't add much of a climb, just the gradient. 


With it being a Saturday in the Czech Republic, cyclists were out in force. Many tootling along at walking pace, one being pushed by her partner and loads just breezing along on their electric bikes.  


Getting to the first town for lunch was like arriving at a cyclists convention. Bikes everywhere. I sat down in a restaurant for my fried cheese and remembered why I usually don't, it took ages but was tasty. 


It's quite a rural route today so I stocked up in the little Potraviny and headed off. 


The roads were bumpy but the riding was good. I left the main route for a different campsite and am glad I did.  The site is in a gorge looked over by a castle. Beautiful views but a descent that was hard on the hands, back and arms. Especially because the road surface wasn't great and opportunities for drivers to pass were limited. 


Doing my holiday maths, I realised that I'll have quite a few days left over to relax so, as this place has lots of facilities I'm going to have a day off before hitting that climb 




Bikes everywhere, just a normal Saturday. 

I keep thinking that when I reach the top of these climbs I'll get a great view but it rarely happens. Today I reached a plateau but if you squint you can see the forest in the distance. You'll just have to imagine the overwhelming screech of insects. The bites on my legs are swelling nicely; never have a wild wee in the long grass, that's my advice. 

I've passed a lot of roadside crosses and bunkers today. I couldn't safely leave my bike to cross the road to find out what this statue was so it shall remain a mystery. 

As shall the reason for the numbers on the apple tress (although I suspect it's to keep track of harvest). 

Every day I come across at least one face made or in this case drawn on the roadside. 

See above

Although Bitov Castle is near as the crow flies, it would take many hours to get there as the cyclist rides so I'll have to settle for this view. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment