I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Tuesday 23 July 2024

Havraniky

Finally found a view


 Now, where were we? 

After one day of relaxing in the sunshine, and another hiding in the tent from the rain, I decided to set off again.


Today should be the last hilly day and mark the change from beer country to vineyards. 


I can't say I set off with enthusiasm. As we know, what goes up must come down and conversely what goes down inevitably has to come back up again. My day started with a completely exhausting push up a footpath and out of the gorge. Possibly the toughest push so far. 


Emerging out of the forest and into fields mid harvest* I was happy I'd missed the heat just a little.  


On I went. Stopping at a shop for snacks and an ice lolly as there wasn't much in the way of restaurants coming up. 


I was, at last, treated to some views. All the hills seem quite tame when they're behind you. 


The final part of my journey took me down out of the Podyji national park and into the Moravia region. 


Moravian wine is well known to those better educated in such things.  And wouldn't you know it, I was smack bang in the middle of the oldest vineyard in the country. Now, the Czech Republic isn't afraid of alcohol, indeed beer at breakfast is a common sight.  So why not put a little bar serving excellent local wine halfway down a slightly hazardous hiking/cycling trail?  For the tourist this may seem slightly out of place. For the 20 or so other cyclists who visited in the short time I was there, it was perfectly normal. 


Adopting a when in Moravia attitude (knowing I had 5km left and noting the small size of glass) I ordered their recommended Sobes dry reisling. And very nice it was too. 


The French say that wine 'cuts the legs' while cycling. It may do (and I can't see it becoming a regular part of my cycling hydration) but as I had to push my bike down then up the treacherous path for the next half an hour I wouldn't know. 


After another few villages I arrived at my tiny campsite. Tonight I'm next to the sandpit and whirligig in what seems to be a pub back yard. 



This is a very outdoorsy active country. Theses are just a few of the long distance walks, day hikes and signed bike routes. 

 

Be careful! That's a Czech word I know, not only was this a very steep descent, I also had to look out for endangered snakes and lizards. I could smell the burning brake pads by the time I got to the bottom. 

I'm not sure you can see from this the kind of terrain I've been cycling through. It would have been better to get closer to the edge and see the view in all its glory but, that wasn't going to happen. 

Cyclists wine bar. Cycling is very popular here. I reckon I see at least 50 other riders each day. Mainly clad in Lycra and many with electric bikes. 

My publicity shot for the vineyard - portrait mode makes everything look fancy. 

Another interesting campsite. That is the owner's bedding on the line there. 




*there is a certain kind of dusty wispy feel in the air that clings to your sweaty skin every time you pass a combine harvester or a recently cut field.  I hate this feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment