I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 6 July 2024

Prague

What to do on a day in Prague?


To be honest, I find Prague a bit overwhelming. The city itself, the buildings are truly beautiful. They're covered in carving and frescos, telling stories everywhere. But at the same time there's authentic Czech cafes, souvenir supermarkets, absinthe and pot shops just below them.  I'm sure this isn't the case as you get further from the centre but the centre itself is just, as I said, overwhelming. It's like walking along the royal mile all the time. 


So, what to do? Well firstly, I had some maps to buy. Half an hour or so of hunting through the bookshop and I'd got everything I might need for my planned route. Then I had a good wander. As I say, it really is beautiful. 


I'd thought about maybe a gallery but nothing grabbed me. Instead I decided to go to the national library. I turned into the complex and suddenly all was quiet. Booking onto a tour in a few hours time I felt freshly purposeful. I managed to find a none chain, none authentic Czech coffee shop so sat and watched the world or reading my book. 



Back at the Klementinum the tour was lead by a wonderfully enthusiastic student. We saw the beautiful library and then climbed to the observation tower. Everyone but me took great delight in the views from the balcony. I settled for views from the windows and took the opportunity to suss out tomorrow's hills. 







I wandered back to the hotel and spent another few hours researching routes, campsites, things to see before deciding to get something to eat. Not being in the mood a sit down meal I looked for a takeaway, and not a chimney cake/ice-cream place. Eventually I got a none authentically Czech burrito bowl which I took back to the hotel for more maps and books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment