I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 7 July 2024

Bradnys nad Labem - Stara Boleslav

 Today started with the familiarly irritating task of navigating my way out of a city, complete with road works, cobbles and tram lines. 



That hill I sussed out yesterday? I hit that when the temperature was 30+. My little bike computer said 45 but I'm fairly sure it was exaggerating. Anyway. I pushed the bike up the end of the hill and even that was a challenge. I've just not got my climbing muscles yet, still pulling rather than pushing. 


By the top I was more than slightly the worse for wear so I sat in a bus shelter and contemplated my life choices. Turns out I'm pretty happy with things as they are so once I felt a bit less liquid I set off in search of a supermarket. Nothing says holiday to me such as standing in an air conditioned shop trying to read ingredients looking for the sneaky meat. 


I found a Penny and that's what I did. I got some super noodles and some veg for tea. Then I hit the sweeties. Usually I have strict nutritional routine involving juice and sweets to keep me going. Once that's in place then I can cycle for miles (not really but in my head I can). 


Shopping done, hill summited, turned right at the park-and-ride and I was off down (mainly) to the Elbe. The roads are smooth and cars kind. The dusty smell of sun scorched wheat wafted on the breeze. 


Crossing over the river I saw no signs for a campsite but, followed my map which reassured me I was right. Reaching the lake and the giant car park filled with day trippers I was slightly confused but, for a pound I was told I could pitch my tent wherever I liked. 


After eventually finding somewhere with shade where I felt I wasn't going to be run over in the night I put up my tent and slowly melted. It was still 30+ so I just sat in the shade after that.  It's too hot to knit so, back to the book. 


At tea time, the heavens opened. Thunder and lightning somewhat testing my new tent. I'm pleased to say that it seems to have stood up to the downpour, my choice of pitch by luck rather than design one of the few areas not to flood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment