I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 5 July 2024

Prague

 I made it!

Props to me for my travel planning this year. How simple (considering distance) has that journey been?  





I had a few minor panics. First one when the water bus appeared to be heading down river, I hadn't checked the number - it was just avoiding a boat.  Had a word with myself.  Second panic when my train wasn't scheduled at the advertised platform. The app theoretically gives you live information but turns out it was wrong. As was the policeman who told me I was going to the wrong platform. I wasn't throughly convinced I was on the right train until the destination was announced. 


It's not the most exciting journey for the most part. I have cycled it, that was the doomed disaster year so maybe that was why I was nervy. Anyway, into Berlin and only 15 minutes late - go Deutschbahn! 


Berlin Hauptbahnhof is a rather large station.  Turns out my platform (which I checked at information rather than rely on the coincidently correct app) was down in the bowels of the station. I got some food and negotiated a few lifts then joined other cyclists on the platform. 


Usually there is information telling you which carriage is bikes and where to stand. That wasn't there so we just sort of waited in the middle. Turns out we were correct and the door pulled up at our feet. It was an older train, and the steps were steep but, team work makes the dream work and all cyclists were safely installed. 


And off we went to Prague. This journey had a bit more in the way of views, and after Dresden I'd visited most of them. 



^ Trying a thing...


Into Prague only 5 minutes late - the most efficient DB train I've been on - I made my way to the hotel. I'd emailed in advance and the very kind receptionist met me to help with my bike. He put my bike in the luggage room and showed me it there. He seemed used to worrying tourists. 


The room is lovely and the hotel central so tomorrow should be a relaxing day of sight seeing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment