I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 13 July 2024

Prague (again)

 


So what to do next?  

Although I've enjoyed following the river, I'm running out of train stations and so onward options. Continuing north would mean mountain resorts and cable cars and then retracing my steps to get back to a station. My first week has reassured me that I still have the joy in and ability to tour. I've also ticked Sedlec off my bucket list so a fairly successful start. 


I've retraced my steps and headed back to Prague. Last night, over my very traditional Czech food I tried to decide where to go next. My plan had been to go to Brno and then head south to Vienna before heading back to Prague but, I was quite enjoying small town Czech Republic and didn't really want to head to Austria just yet. I also hadn't factored in Prague Central's sheer magnitude. Getting myself there and to the right platform in time to get the train I have booked to Berlin might be a challenge. So, I've reversed my route. 


After cleaning the hotel room (forest floor everywhere) I headed off. I really liked Hradec Kralove and my little hotel in the old town. Cycling out towards the station I saw the more modern parts of the city and fought hard to resist the urge to go to the often signed Ikea. 


I feel like my change of plan may have been written in the stars. Arriving at the station to be told there is a direct train in 10 minutes. All so simple and so cheep. Once someone helped me to get my bike on board we were on our way. 


Arriving in Prague, not delighted to be back, the mayhem of the city over spilling. In the station where a man (clearly out of his box) was arrested after an unprovoked assault.  Then out into the park where police were again in action talking to a group of (I suspect) pick pockets. I made sure I was city centre ready and headed towards the river. 


I'll say it again, Prague is beautiful but, it's not a summer by yourself quick visit kind of place. It's more of an autumn, rent a room for a week come as a couple dine out and explore at a relaxed pace sort of place. Right now it's packed with school trips and stag parties - rather like another familiar city. 



No comments:

Post a Comment