I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Monday 15 July 2024

Týnec nad Sázavou

 There comes a point in my cycling fitness where hills change from something you drag yourself up to something you climb. It feels like changing from pulling to pushing. With more strength in your legs you push down with more power and so climbing feels easier. Today was that day. 


Much of my day looked like this 

Leaving the campsite and finally crossing the river I decided that I needed breakfast. I found a Tesco on the map and settled off.  It wasn't long before I realised it was a heck of a climb. But, I was committed. And by that point quite hungry. 


I kept going and made it to the shops. I had a good old mooch and enjoyed myself but wasn't really watching the time. Eventually I headed back down the hill to try and find the route. 


Cycling paths are often very well marked here and names like roads. The only problem was in the mess off the suburban map it was hard to tell which path I was looking for.  The guide gives you occasional navigation points but these are more sights to see along the way than names of routes. 


I eventually found the A2 and then after what seemed like hours (because it was) I was spat out of the suburbs and into the country. By the amount of fancy cars and the style of the people driving, I'd guess I was in quite a well to do part of the country. The kind of place where there is a country set. 


Although at my shopping stop I'd bought food, I didn't have much of an appetite. I had eaten a bit but not enough to fuel the climb that lay ahead. Despite not being that hungry I decided to stop for a meal. Otherwise we weren't getting anywhere. 


I stopped in a very fancy Italian. I'd taken the time to wash my face in the loo and also have a pair of swimming 'cover up' trousers. The kind you're meant to wear next to the pool. It makes me look slightly less scruffy but still, I didn't quite fit in. 


The food was excellent but I could only manage half the massive pizza. I took the rest to take away and after a coffee headed back to my climb. 


On reflection, I should not have gone to Tesco. Not only was it a big chunk of time, it was also a big chunk of energy. Had I realised quite how much climbing there was still to come I might have chosen to wait for breakfast. 


But climb we must. I cycled up and up, stopping every now and then but motivated by the inevitable descent. Eventually I made it. It feels fantastic to stand and see nothing but downhill all around you. Much as my muscles are a bit more climbing friendly now, they do have a limit and that last couple of km was just about it.


This was the post pizza part of my day.  A 12km descent is quite motivating.


All day I've been singing the Superfresco advert* - it's what I tell myself when that climb feels rather laborious -'what goes up, must come down' and so for the last 12 km that's what I did. Flew down hill after hill after hill through a gorge and to the river below where, rather later than planned, I found my campsite. 


*from 1984, I looked it up https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRep66Px2S8

No comments:

Post a Comment