I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 13 July 2024

Hradec Kralove


In an unusual twist, I decided to cycle further than was practical, because I fancied a ride.  Must have found my legs somewhere along this river. 

I woke up in a very damp, very sandy, very mucky forest. Despite the very efficient, if throughly filthy, shower it is definitely a one day kind of campsite. I packed up and headed off, first stop theoretically should be Pardubice. 


I cycled along, enjoyed the sun once it poked out and generally had a a good time.  I passed a castle on a hill which looked very romantic but generally it was woodland and fields. 


I reached the outskirts of Pardubice in good time and planned to get lunch after stocking up on some essentials. Thank goodness I did because roadworks fairly ruined my plans. After diversion after diversion I gave up on reaching the town centre and headed instead for the river. Pardubice being a town for another day. 


Carrying on I cycled through a town built around a giant chemical plant. I eventually reached the outskirts of Hradec Kralove where I was once against stymied by roadworks. But this time, I had motivation - a hotel beckoned. 


I eventually found a way across the dual carriage way and over the river taking me into the Old Town centre. What a lovely surprise, it's a very pretty town built around a historic square. 


Checking in at the hotel was a genuine delight. The lady couldn't have been more helpful. Once the formalities were concluded I asked about the unusual building, turns out it's 16th Century with a 12th century cellar where breakfast is served in the morning. 


In the evening I decided to go out to eat, once the rain had stopped. I enjoyed local wine and a lump of fried cheese. Very tasty it was too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment