I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Wednesday 31 July 2024

Mikulov

 


We're really on where were we now aren't we? 


Last you heard, I'd got myself to Mikulov, and was staying there. Well, the weather had got itself all of a tizzy again so I stayed for a few days. The rational being 35+ was not suitable for cycling, the site was nice and, I was only a day from Brno anyway. 


Mikulov is a picture perfect kind of town. It's on a hill, built around a castle with pleasure gardens jutting out into the rock. 


I've been here for three days and really, haven't done much. 


On day one I went for a walk up to the Goat Tower. This played a vital roll in wars of the past being a look out post between Vienna* and Bruno.  As expected the views were spectacular, seeing all the way I'd come, all the way I was going to go. It's the first time I've really been able to see the landscape. After that I went and sat in the gardens, just relaxing and to then to food shops then back to the site. 


The next day was wickedly hot. I had no intention of going anywhere in that weather so my mission was to find some shade. Once the shade from the trees near my tent had gone I moved to the barbecue area. Once that got too hot, I set myself up - comfy camping chair and all - in the kitchen. I knitted away and listened to my book. 


After an exchange about the heat conducted by gesture, I finally understood that a woman wanted to tell me something. Using Google translate she asked me to look after her little dog while she showered. So me and poochie chilled. I chatted to another bloke who told me there was a festival on. That explained the busy site and lots of teenage girls getting ready in the loos. I'm not sure any act would have persuaded me into a crowd in that weather.  An early night in the heat woken at 1 in the morning when the last of the chatty festival goers returned. 


The next morning I was amazed to see the festival goers bright eyed and bushy tailed packing away their tents and off the site by 10. Not something I'd expect to see in the uk. 


For this last day in Mikulov (once the threat of thunder had passed) I headed back into town and had something to eat (fried goat's cheese, changing it up from Gouda). Back at the tent, packing up and readying myself for one last holiday ride. 










*Vienna hasn't really been much of a draw for me this holiday. It's been a convenient point at the end of a route but not one I've desperately wanted to see again. Between the border and the city campsites are lacking. The  official route ends somewhere north of the city on the Danube so crossing paths once travelled. It would have meant either doubling back for a few days or another train and then still doubling back for a day. All in all, I didn't want to go so I didn't. 



No comments:

Post a Comment