I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Wednesday 31 July 2024

Brno

 




The ride to Brno

One of the reasons I didn't rush to leave Mikulov was my proximity to Brno.  I had thought about breaking the journey at a lake but, even the long way round that was two very short days. My calculations put my hotel at 56km away, a normal day's distance with hills so a breeze on the flat.


I did panic slightly when I saw the proposed route - right along a bike free A Road or a 15k diversion (70+ is the preferred distance of a 30 something none car owning me) I remembering my last A Road journey (through the fields for a few miles) so I did through recognisance. I found a definite paved road for most of the way and using the satellite layer was even able to see a few bikes on it.  All maps agreed it was possible. 


Setting off in the morning I was delighted when I saw many other bikes on the road- they all must be going somewhere right?


So, I zoomed along. Nice and flat, paved roads, no navigation. Over the lake and into the nature reserve. I watched fish jumping and a pair of massive eagles soaring over head.


Turning a corner, unfortunately into my onward direction of travel, I hit a head wind. As it's the first of the whole holiday I can't complain but that and a general upward slope did hike up the resistance somewhat. Something I feel in my poor aging knees. 


Apart from the push against forces, the rest of the ride was uneventful. One stop to eat the potato salad lunch (ants had found their way into one end and so several potatoes were sacrificed) I'd made myself yesterday and then onto the city. 



Just the one route barre and an easy navigation round that. I arrived at the hotel mid afternoon. Checking in, discussion about bike security and rather a long process to transfer everything I have with me to the fourth floor in a tiny lift - including said bike. 



One shower later and off to mooch around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment