I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Monday 5 August 2024

Hoek van Holland

Along side Berlin, I'd say the hook of Holland is another of my travel staples. I've been here more times than I remember. 





My day started with a final cull of luggage before the stress of English trains. I got ride of some almost empty toiletries and a now slightly mouldy round the edges sandwich box. Apart from that I'm travelling fairly light so there isn't much to cull. I did however chuck the knickers with hole in them leaving me with just enough clean pairs to make it home. 


Packed up I checked out and headed off to the station. Early enough to not worry but for once, only an hour before the train was due. 



The station was rammed. Notices about not giving money to the newspaper sellers (they were rather pushy, I had to roll out the teacher voice for an authoritative 'No.  Thank you.') and to not get to the platform too early. Well, forget that. I've been victim to the Hbf lifts before. Standing there timing it, it took a lady with a buggy 10 minutes to get to the platform.  As soon as my platform was confirmed I made my way there. The queuing and the down up down up up taking the 10 minutes predicted. On the platform I joined the other bikes waiting to go to Amsterdam. 


And the rest of the journey was fairly simple. Into Amsterdam after a journey with a double seat to myself. Then the train to Den Haag from the same platform. 


After getting off at The Hague and stopping for groceries I cycled the 12 miles to the campsite. When booking I'd made a note that I'd be there late. 


I was rather glad I did because the woman at the closed reception told me they were full and that they didn't usually accept late arrivals. I politely pointed out that I was staying anyway. She showed me on a map where they may possibly be spaces. 


I've honed my space finding skills on Czech campsites this holiday. I had no doubt I would find somewhere. As it turned out, there really was no problem at all. Spaces abounded and I was soon set up for a last night under canvas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment