I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Monday 5 August 2024

Berlin





 Trains eh? 


This holiday I have been quite careful to remove as much stress as possible from my train journeys. Trying my best to not have more than one connection in a journey and timing them so I don't feel worried or rushed about getting up, packing up and making my way to the station. 


Apart from the difficulties of actually getting on the train, this seems to be working well. Apart from today. 


Of all my train connections this is the one that missing it would have cost the most financially, and the odds of finding another bike space the next day were very limited. 


We all know that train platforms can be tricky things. They usually involve lifts and time must be given to getting in between where you are and where you are going. Well, today at Brno I think was the most stressful platform embarkation ever. I arrived at the station a good hour early, watched as each train was given a platform. Scoped out the layout (confused by platform numbers and platform sections also having numbers) found the lifts etc. The minutes ticked by. 15 minutes to go, 10, 5, train due, train due five minutes ago and then eventually train has platform. Obviously it's the down and up version and there is station chaos. I rushed as fast as I could. First lift fine, second lift not exactly bike sized but lifting up the front wheel and breathing in I made it, just. On the platform in a panic I asked for the bike space and the guard pointed to the end of the train. Getting there I showed my reservation when asked only to be told the bike carriage was at the front. These are long trains. Lucky I'm feeling fit as I ran the length of the train watching all other passengers board and hearing whistles. 


I made it but, I cannot emphasise how much this was an 'only just' moment. The train setting off as my door - the last one open, closed. 


Once I was on board I found my bike space taken so propped it on the side. I sat on the floor until the ticket inspector had okayed things (I'd made the booking complicated by reserving the bike space just in case and buying the ticket separately after cancelling another) and okayed the location of the bike. After that I bounced round the carriage as various people claimed seats at various points in the journey. That included a newly wed couple from Carlisle. 


At least my journey was a to b with b being the last stop. That made life easier. Arriving at Berlin and disembarking remarkably calmly I wasn't impressed to find the lifts out of order. Having a healthy British respect for escalators I didn't want to clamber on with my loaded bike, instead I did a couple of journeys carrying everything up the stairs.  (Writing this the next day I blame this part of the journey for the crick in my neck and my inability to even see, never mind look over, my right shoulder.)


The hotel was nice and near the station (again part of my plan to simplify things) and I checked in quickly. I went back out to get a takeaway, astounded by the none falafel/fried Gouda options. Then I settled in for the evening ready for a day out tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment