I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Tuesday 16 July 2024

Tabor

 I made it!

I really thought last night that I might get stuck in some Czech village halfway up a hill.  When I say my legs have had it, I don't mean they ache - in fact the only hint of a twinge is in my increasingly creaky knees - I mean they are simply out of steam. No power at all. 

Last night I tried to eat as much as I could and get a good nights sleep. The best things I can do to feel ready for today. I'm not sure how effective they were in a physical sense but in a psychological sense, I felt better. 

I set off this morning (after a fuel stop at Lidl) along one of the most glorious bike paths I have ever encountered. Miles of road free undulating tracks, they even had dashed and solid lines - no overtaking on tricky corners. Ever a thoughtful people, there was a self serve pub along the way. 

My plan for survival today was take it slow and don't burn out. If I felt like it I would walk. I reasoned that 10km was a perfectly walkable distance so even if I pushed my up all of the big climb, I'd still get there.  I think though, in the end, what made today so much better than the two previous was the clouds. It was cooler and so far more manageable. In fact, quite enjoyable. 

I made my way through forests meadows and little villages. Stopping when I wanted and walking when I felt like it. A slower start gave me time to warm up my muscles and as the day went on the hills were that bit more  manageable. To keep up the momentum I even had a little dance when I stopped in a forest for an afternoon snack.  Maybe listening to music also helped.

Because the sun wasn't as brutal as it has been, I was a lot more relaxed. I didn't feel like I needed to be somewhere early to avoid the worst of the weather. I enjoyed just meandering along at my own pace in my own wee world. 

Arriving in Tabor was a pleasant surprise - what a pretty little town. I can't say I'm convinced by my friend's assertion that this is the last of the nasty climbs. In fact looking at the map there's a few real doozies out there. But I feel more prepared for them and more aware of what I need to do to make it ok for me. 

The hostel is...well, I'm not sure what it is. It's a vibe? Very friendly, very communal and clean bed linen. I've got my own room and my bike is secure. Beyond that, what more do I need? 


Self service




First sighting of Tabor


We're calling it a vibe

No comments:

Post a Comment