I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Wednesday 10 July 2024

Kutna Hora

 A day off can be very busy you know. 


I started the day early by paying for the campsite and getting change. That let me get a shower - amazing what you can do with a 3 minute token and judicious use of the start stop. Then I put a wash on. After that I had some more breakfast, hung out said washing and knitted the arm onto my wolf. 


The heat is not my friend but, it does have its advantages. An hour later my clothes were dry. I packed them away and headed off into the old town. 


Kutna Hora was once the richest town in Bohemia. Famous for its silver mine. It's a well known visitor attraction apparently and on a direct train line from Prague, should you ever feel the need.  The place I'm visiting tomorrow, is also the inspiration for this trip. 





Today though, I explored the old town. I started with a visit to Chrám sv. Barbory. St Barbara's Catherdral. It's breath taking, especially for those of us not used to such splendour in a church. It's an amazing mix with frescos from the 14th century right up to renovations completed in 2012.  I'm not great at naming architectural styles but words such as gothic and baroque were flung around with abandon.  









It took hundreds of years to build. That's something I know in my head - that cathedrals were built over centuries - but find it so hard to comprehend. Generation after generation working on the same building. Knowing you'll never see it done. For people for hundreds of years it's just always being built. But being built beautifully.



After that, it was getting a little warm. I wandered round some crypts, took in the views and explored the old town - including plague column and foundation stone. But, much as museums beckoned, I was starving so I went on the hunt for food. I was delighted to find a vegetarian restaurant but at my 'open?' Question a frazzled chef just gestured at his kitchen and told me 'empty!' 


I went instead for my trusty falafel. I ate my wrap and drank an apparently popular and quite tasty grapefruit (the citrus of choice I've noticed) and grape drink. After that I asked for an espresso -  it took some convincing of the owner that I knew what I was ordering.  I did not know what I was ordering when I asked for a Hummus bowl to take away. At home that would mean salad, hummus, bits all in a bowl. Here it meant a bowl of hummus. 



Fortified I headed up the hill via a supermarket for things to dip in my hummus then I went back to the shade of the campsite.  I spent the evening eating the hummus (very good hummus since you ask) knitting, reading and generally relaxing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment