I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Monday 8 July 2024

Kutna Hora

I set off this morning without much of a plan. I'd cycle and see how I felt. Tired, a but lethargic? A bit of a sore throat?  All a bit bleugh. But, the campsite was low on facilities - like flushing toilets and hot water - so I thought I might as well make a move. 



I trundled along following my cycling map, an online Czech cycling map and my usual Maps.me. As I'd resolved to stay off the dirt tracks, I needed back up when deciding which roads were welcoming to cyclists. 


The first few miles flew by. Cycling between fields of crops all edged by cornflowers. Butterflies fluttering in and out and eagles soaring ahead. 


At my first stop I got bread and cheese for picnics (I've looked up menus, fried cheese is not a good lunchtime choice on a bike) and found more sweets. I carried on. 


My next stop after joining the river and dithering which side to choose was a bench in a nature reserve. I had my picnic and provided sustenance for all local insects. 



Off I went again. Swapping to the other side of the river I cycled round Podebrady to see its castle but as it was closed I didn't go in. On - past my back up accommodation should I have felt like a shorter day - and to the town of Kolin. There I visited the church but much like Podebrady all attractions were closed on a Monday. 


From there, it got complicated. Remember all my mapping options? Well, they assured me the main road was good for bikes (I was off the physical map by now). It seems even to be a EuroVelo route. Something went wrong somewhere and I spent a mile walking through some lovely fields. Then added a good few miles onto my route to get back across the big road. Which wasn't good for bikes. 


Eventually making it to Tesco in Kutna Hora I decided to go to the furthest away campsite in the hope it was suitable for a longer stay. That added another few miles to my by now rather sweaty journey. 


All in all, it's been a very long day but, I'm here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment