I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 9 June 2024

Summer 2024

 The plan


As I believe I may have mentioned before, I take a great deal of joy in planning my summer journey. 


I do it bit by bit. In winter I search blogs and travel articles looking for interesting routes. I hunt for the maps and try to find out things like surfaces and accommodation. 


Once I've decided where to go I spend most of my time trying to work out how to get there. I compare ferry choices and through Deutschbahn I investigate where I can break train journeys, how long they'll take and if I can get a bike on board.  I consider getting treatment for fear of flying then dismiss this, the journey is the thing after all. 


Eventually at Easter I start to book. Ferries first, then trains then accommodation.  Little by little to spread the cost but also quick enough to make sure all the pieces are in place.   


After that I check out my gear. Last year I was hit with the stark realisation that nothing lasts forever. I've had to replace my tent, my chair, sleeping bag. I've chosen to replace my pillow and my bike. 


I've toured on an upright for the past couple of years and despite the fact that it is a gentler ride, I do find it less efficient and far slower. I began to long for those head down, go legs! climbs. Something I thought I'd never say. 


So now, where has all this planning got me?  I'm on my way into town to collect my brand new Coix de Feur. I've tried out my new tent in the garden and tested out the chair. My trains and ferries are booked and via quite a simple route, I'm off to Prague. I've got a ride worked out that Edit - route now takes me back to Prague.  Then a little city break in Berlin before heading home again. I've got accommodation booked in Amsterdam and Prague too so I'm calling this the capitals tour. 


For those interested itinerary below:


  • Train Edinburgh to Newcastle, cycle to ferry in North Shields
  • Ferry and bike ride to Amsterdam. Probably visit wool shop. 
  • Train to Prague changing in Berlin. 
  • Hotel in Prague 
  • Cycle to Vienna
  • Edit- found a greenway. Now cycling back to Prague. 
  • A couple of nights in Berlin
  • Train to Den Haag, camp
  • Ferry to Harwich
  • Train to Edinburgh


Simple eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment