I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 3 August 2023

Aarhus - Moesgarrd 2023




Today the weather forecast was for rain, rain, heavy rain and more rain. Luckily the day I had planned accommodated this well.
 

In between showers I set off through the woods to the apparently world renowned Moesgaard Museum. The museum is set deep in a park and juts out of the ground at an angle. It is described as an anthropological museum and contains one of Denmark’s famous bog bodies. 


The museum is overwhelming. It is dark with lighting showing the exhibits. It’s interactive and visually stunning but also very intense. By the end of the first hall I had a headache. There were some fascinating exhibits. The Romans exhibition focussed on the downfall of the empire and the enemies that bought it about. There were 3000 year old skeletons still in their clothes - which I found fascinating (Borum Eshoj, Sabro, west of Aarhus. C. 1350 BC) The story of the discovery of the discovery of and battle to preserve Grauballe man was well told. Obviously there was lots of Viking stuff too. Upstairs was a little different. There the exhibitions focussed on Death and how those who have passed away are celebrated and remembered across the world. It was quite frank at times and left a lot to think about. 


As it was by now full scale stair rods I decided to visit the cafe.  Limited choices so I had to have a cold pasta salad - not at all nice - and listen to a man talk very loudly about his very dull seemingly quite privileged home life. 


By this time my headache was full on migraine so I decided despite the weather I needed to get out into some proper light so, I did up my cagoule and headed back. 


At the site it became clear that the rain had been coming down hard the whole time I was away. Luckily it eased off and I had had the fore site to dry bag most of my gear as the floor of my tent had almost given up the battle against the water that had flowed underneath it. 



So, my last night under canvas was a dry - but only just, one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment