I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 11 July 2019

To Puttgarden

Today I sent a tweet about tailwinds and Pop Master and promptly lost both. Remind me not to tempt fate. 


Today I have been mostly crosswinding with a smattering of headwinds and a small sprinkle of tail winds. I’ve been criss-crossing the peninsular to avoid major roads and have made it to the north shore of Fehmarn. I’m writing this to the sound of waves crashing on the beach. 

Not that today was without its adventures. I stated out with the well intentioned notion of fixing a bit of my mudguard that is rubbing but on closer inspection found my pannier rack to be the problem. One part had come free and obviously wasn’t in it for the long haul. Turning to my trusty toolkit I gathered cable ties and tape bodging a fix that worked rather well. I googled bike shops but didn’t find much apart from hire places. I tried a poorly stocked outdoor outlet and then hit google gold - a proper bike shop. After a bit of consultation I got myself a new rack and went to set off on my merry way.  As I was making final adjustments (racks are designed to go under - rather than bungeecorded on top of - the load) I was accosted by a very friendly dog. She seemed ownerless and much as I was tempted to take her with me I left her with other concerned passers by who had by then called the police for help. 

A meal out to celebrate my new rack and then a quick 15k to the site. All was going well until I met a bike-path I assume is under construction. In the end I just had to push for the last 2k. 



Signed in and tent up, I started fitting the  rack. There were a few tense moments as I searched for long enough screws and tried to free the nuts on the light fitting all with a piffling little multitool (Tried to avoid double entendre. Gave up.). but I got there in the end. 

After a walk on the beach and a second tea I was ready for bed. 

Tomorrow, rather excitingly, I’ll be in Denmark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment