I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 11 July 2019

To Lolland

Every day’s an adventure isn’t it?

Today I have off roaded, caught an international ferry and tonight I’m sleeping in a little wooden hut. 


This morning I loaded up my new rack and off I went. Wanting to avoid the sand and pushed for about a mile. After a bit of navigation I got myself onto the ferry and headed up to the top deck. No messing around here - as soon as those doors were closed we were off!


I paid an eye watering £10 for a sandwich and coffee and knitted as I browsed the paper. 

At the other side I sat in queues and after a brief passport check, was in Denmark. The first kilometre or two was through a run down town but then I picked up the coastal path and was in heaven. The sea on one side. The woods on the other and one (gravel, everything should have a flaw) path to my campsite. 

I took a detour to the supermarket and it was ok, my usual shop came in at a reasonable price. The only thing that looked really costly was cheese. But then they were selling huge bricks of the stuff.  After that I followed the map to my first Shelterplatz.  It’s an organised Danish version of a bothy. Only in this case it’s in someone’s back garden. My plan is to work our how they work before pursuing a more rural option. 

I’m now sat outside watching the wildlife in the trees. A woodpecker fairly going for it. A red squirrel doing goodness knows what but it’s as loud as the woodpecker. And a very big bumble bee. Unfortunately the smaller wildlife is driving me into my little shelter. Insect repellent never quite works. 

Tomorrow I’m heading west to do a bit of island hopping, Danish style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment