I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 12 July 2019

To Svendborg

I feel today has been productive.  I did all I planned to do and now am getting ready for bed wearing just one layer of clothing. Bonus!

I set off from the shelter in good time and cycled through flat cornfields until I reached today’s ferry port. This ferry took me from Lolland to Langeland. Over Langeland I cycled until I reached the bridge to Tasinge. Then over another bridge and onto the mainland and the town of Svendborg. 

In Svenborg I was a woman on a mission. First of all I needed to replace my thin, ‘cover up the mess of a day’s cycling when trying to look respectable enough to get served in a cafe’ hoody. My nice green one is sitting on yesterday’s ferry. I left it behind only shortly after I had removed most of its tassel from my brake. I removed the rest of it by removing the wheel this morning. Secondly I needed to replace my second pair of cycling shorts because it turns out they don’t last for ever. One pair of shorts is not a nice nor a hygienic option. 

Stop one and I spotted shorts but decided to hunt around. I found a mid-range make for top range prices. Continuing my hunt I found a discount store with only size 8 (really not me) options. Stopping off at a well known high street retailer to pick up a hoody in their sale I went back to the first shop. I tried on the shorts and was rather happy to find they too were in the sale. 

Such bargains should be celebrated and feeling flush at having saved at least £50 I went to the gastro pub in the square for some chips. But because it was a gastro pub they were a tiny portion in a silly pot on a chopping board. Still tasty though. 


After that I headed to the campsite.  I played shower roulette (you put in a coin and get an undisclosed amount of time with hot water. This could be anything from three minutes to eight. Were you to know how long you could plan - I put a timer on my phone - but in shower roulette you just have to prioritise. Which bits of your ablutions can you cope with in the cold? Luckily I’d done stamp on shorts to rinse - having pre-scrubbed in preparation - as doing hair, then all over wash and was just onto teeth when not only did the hot water stop, all water did. I’m glad I’ve been playing the game for long enough to be prepared. And I’m aware not everyone brushes their teeth in the shower.)

Then I had something to eat and settled down with a new audio book (do ‘thriller  with a twist’ writers go on a course where they learn that the best way to make their characters real yet mysterious is to instinctively over use the word instinctively?) and my knitting. Being a warm night I got a whole arm of my doll (because what’s a Sarah holiday without a knitted toy?) done. 

Tomorrow I’m going to get a ferry to Aero. It’s apparently very instagramable.  I’m not sure that’s the selling point it’s intended to be. 



A French horn was blown and everyone gathered to watch this boy perform tricks in a tree. Apparently he’d asked the owner if she minded him putting on a show. It was very impressive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment