I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 13 July 2019

To Ærøskøbing

I’ve had quite a relaxing day today. I started off with a takeaway breakfast of coffee and pastry and then packed up at a leisurely pace. I cycled along to the ferry, past the ferry and then back to the ferry. Queued up and then boarded. 

On board I had another coffee and chatted to an older Norwegian couple (although they live many miles apart) who were going to the island to swing dance. As the ferry docked the swing music was blaring and a little dancing broke out. 

Off the ferry and in a fit of good thinking straight to the campsite. I was pitched and unpacked by 3pm and so took myself and my unburdened bike off to explore. 



I found a beach and hunted for shells and stones. Possibly amber if my luck was in. I found lots of flint, sea-glass and oddly shaped pebbles but sadly nothing more precious. 

I turned inland then and made the most of the pack free bike to climb to the highest point on the island (not very high) and was rewarded by a lovely view. Last if all I headed down into the old town of Ærøskøbing. All very pretty and cobbley with higgeldy piggeldy houses but the parked cars somewhat killed that Instagram perfect vibe. 

After tea and a shower back at the site I went for an evening beach stroll. Some hardy teenagers were splashing in the sea in front of the beach huts. There was a fair old breeze - rather then than me. 



Tomorrow I’m on the last ferry for a while then heading further north to (thanks to the lady on the ferry I can now pronounce it correctly) Odense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment