I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 21 July 2019

To Ishoj





Today marks the start of holiday cycle, part three. I need to be in Berlin in 10 days. There will be trains.

(This photo is here and not somewhere else in the body of the text because Blogger, iPhones and I are very close to falling out and I’ve decided this will just have to do.)

Little tip here, if you want to visit Sweden, probably best to choose a different bit. The people were lovely and Malmo was nice enough but the ride in between was a little ... mundane. 

I set off from the campsite - the first cyclist for once, I’m usually the last - and meandered my way down to Malmo. I stopped on the coast for something to eat (crisps and a chocolate bar since you ask) and then cycled on into the very irritating wind*.  The industrial landscape continued and although I got the odd spot of Wallander country with some pretty villages, overall it was big boxy buildings .


When I got to Malmo I decided to blow a bit of that extra cash and so took my kindle on a lunch date.  I had what I believe to be the most expensive veggie burger I’ve ever eaten. And there wasn’t even a burger!  It was good and tasty and as long as you thought of the price in context - i.e. A bar in Sweden - worth it. As I was pushing the boat out I had a pint too (I was thirsty).  


After that it was simply a case of getting the train across The Bridge and back to Copenhagen. (I’ve got on a lot of trains with my bike. This really was the easiest. Roll it on, stand it next to the seats, hook it to the wall, unhook it, roll it off.  So stress free.)


See that big cloud that looks like I’ve accidentally covered the lens when taking the photo (I took the photo twice because I thought I had taken a picture of my finger). It is in fact a huge rain cloud. Seconds after this photo was taken it chucked it down. And then,abruptly, stopped. 


I got out my map of the official route and set off (into that blinking wind) to the first campsite I could find. After the whirlwind of sightseeing and excitement that has been my Zealand odyssey I’m looking forward to a little bit of rural cycling, picnicking in fields and just enjoying the view.    


*Thank you all for letting me enjoy that tail wind the other day. And being kind enough not to point out that obviously, that meant, in all likelihood, the next 500km will be heading in the wrong direction wind wise. I knew this too but didn’t want to burst my own bubble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment