I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 19 July 2019

Copenhagen

I think I made the most of my second day in Copenhagen.  So much so that when I finally arrived home I was exhausted. 

After a morning coffee and a bit of knitting (the doll is coming on well, just limbs left before assembly can begin) I set off down into town. First an unscheduled stop to watch the changing of the guards then off to gallery one, Kunsthal Charlottenborg. I delighted in watching the whole of Dee Lauf Der Linge. It is a film of a causal  chain of events and reactions like tyres bumping into planks and knocking over bottles to push candles into fuses. (It’s one of my favourites, look it up).  I know it works but when the reaction takes a little time you get so nervous waiting then it’s so pleasing when the switch - as I suppose all the events are - trips.  One plastic bag of rubbish spins slowly and a half hour long sequence is started.  

After that joy I went upstairs and found a depressing exhibition about what the European Union, and being in and out of it can mean. That just made me want to cry. Such is the nature of art eh?

Gallery two was Kunstforeigner GL Strand.  First there was a pleasing, warm colourful domestic  installation from Milena Bonifacini. Upstairs Richard Mosses heat images were captivating. A first it’s hard to work out what you’re looking at.

By this time my tummy was rumbling and after calling in at Sommererflugen Strik (knitting shop) to look but not buy I went and had something to eat. The avocado smorrebrod was tasty but why serve a long coffee in a water glass?




After eating and collecting my bike I cycled onto Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek which really was the gallery that just kept giving. I spent at least two hours there but it could easily have been all day. Ancient Greek and 


Roman marbles. Ancient Egyptian Mummies. A bit of Rodin (yes, The Kiss) and some Borch, Dubois and Barrias . By this point I was wondering why I’d never properly looked at marble sculpture before. 
A brief stop at the initial reason for my visit, the Nasothek - a collection of noses fallen from sculptures - and in amongst the Egyptian gods, another new word - Ichneumon. 


Then there were paintings. I fell in love with Pierre Bonnard. I don’t often sit and stare at painting in that particular art gallery patron way but here I did. Upstairs again and a room of French artists. Your Degas, Rousseau, Renoir, Picasso and then a beautiful little, new to me, Van Gough.      

All of this set in an amazing purpose built building with wings leading off from a lush winter garden. I’d go back and back and back if I lived here. 

I think by now my eyes and brain were at full art capacity so I decided on a change of pace and went 
for a boat ride around the harbour. Nothing new to see but a different perspective. 

Then at last one final visit to eek the last few Krone our of that card. I spent a pleasant hour in Tivoli gardens. I paid through the nose for chips and water and didn’t go on any rides but I felt it was a suitable way to end my day. 



Tomorrow I’m heading north in search of Hamlet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment