I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 12 July 2018

Whitley Bay to Co. Durham

Day 5, and look! No disasters!!

Apart from vastly over exerting myself on that hilly day, it’s been going all right hasn’t it?  

I’ve had a few nice chats along the way. With a bloke who, having lost his dog, decided to get fit by getting an electric bike. He was just off to get his pills from the doctor. Then I met an enthusiastic lady who was on her way to Edinburgh following the same route as me. She told me all about her Warm Showers experiences. Then, in Co. Durham (I’m sort of near Peterlee) I’ve met numerous curious kids. One group were very disappointed to hear that I didn’t have a dog on board. Another was incredulous to hear I was heading for London.

I chatted to the bloke at the chip van (he was fairly sure I was cycling just so I could eat lots of chips) and the security guard at the glass museum who kept a watchful eye on my bike and gear. Then I watched the Tall Ships parade (I’m still confused as to why the Hells Angels were involved) because I couldn’t do much else.  It was quite busy. 

After that I meandered along Route 1 with all its questionable surfaces until google told me to turn off here for my site for the night. They’ve created a couple of pitches just for cyclists with a bike rack, a picnic table and even a charging station. 


No comments:

Post a Comment