I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 13 July 2018

Co. Durham to Thirsk

You’ll be glad to know, I’ve had another disaster free day of cycling. 

It started with a glorious 10 miles down an old railway line then a slightly less glorious 20 miles into a slight headwind and slightly uphill, then a final up and down into Thirsk. 

I stopped a couple of times. To eat. First in a tea room in an old railway station (it was on a cycle route, it felt wrong not to support such a venture) and then in a Cafe Nero in Northallerton. I was tempted by the glamour of Betty’s but didn’t think my grubby appearance would go with their white furniture. 


Thorpe Thewles railway station as was.  Now tea room with lovely pasties and tiffin. 

I mentioned a few days ago that I make lists as I travel. In terms of wildlife I’ve seen lots of goldfinches, chats, sparrows, swifts, starlings, geese and a family of pheasants.  You’ll be interested to know that North Yorkshire has also proved remarkable for roadkill.  I’ve seen many rabbits, a fox, a badger, a very flat hedgehog and two firsts - a hare and a weasel.  

I am now 30 miles from York which is officially a Day’s Ride away so, tomorrow I am relaxing in Thirsk. I might go and find out a bit about James Herriot. I might do some shopping. I might even venture to the pub. 

With this rest day in mind I am retiring to bed with my knitting, a film on my phone and a glass of wine. Who said I don’t know how to holiday?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment