I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 29 July 2018

Dangu

Today I have discovered that I find headwinds and clouds far preferable to heatwaves.  Rather than arriving on site a sweaty limp rag of a woman I arrived with energy to spare and have been knitting away merrily overlooking the lake. 



A family of swans obligingly swam past to give my photo a bit of extra focus. 

I set off at a reasonable time this morning and having read that there were no shops on route I made sure my picnic was well packed. The official route takes a somewhat meandering path to avoid main roads but I wasn’t really in the mood for diversions into fields and so stuck to the quiet D road. I tootled along making good time and stopped in Gourney-en-Bray for a cuppa. On my way in I met another cyclist called Sarah. We had a coffee together and chatted.  We were going on opposite directions so gave me route advice and I think I’m now camping in the spot she had last night. 

My next stop was the abbey at St Germain de Fly. I passed an open side door and so went inside. I was charmed by the shabby inerior and wandered around taking photos of crumbling statues and brickwork. I was totally alone. 


I think there has just been funding given for restoration  but I enjoyed the unkempt interior. 


I was surprised to find the building open and empty. 

Leaving the abbey I again abandoned the route and chose to cut across rather than go round a hill - not a challenging climb but for the wind which killed my down hill free wheeling. I stopped at the top and climbed a little more by foot to eat my picnic overlooking the Bray countryside. 

After that it was a straight forward ride to this campsite. I’ve got long trousers on for the first time in ages. Partially cause I can and partially because I’ve already got enough insect bites.   The tent peninsular is filled with cyclists many, I assume heading to Paris or London.  I’m delighted to say that it’s getting a bit chilly so I’m heading off to do my washing up before cosying up in my sleeping bag with a good book. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the same spot Sarah. As for me I am now in Dieppe. I checked into the hotel Arcades who are looking after the bike in reception. Today I take the ferry back to Newhaven. It was lovely meeting you for that short time. Sharing tips and common ground. Passing ships and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to meet you too, safe travels!

    ReplyDelete