I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 9 July 2017

Rheden

So. Sunday eh? 

Sundays mean no pharmacies so my wounds are still patched up as best I can by my first aid kit. I've always carried it but never used it much. This is the first time I've needed anything more than travel sickness tablets but I'm very glad I have it.  

After the drama of yesterday I did think about staying at the site but then there wasn't much point, there wasn't a pharmacy near.  I was desperate to get onto my new map and mark the beginning of the 'official' route. 400km down, 900km to go.  

I cycled along day dreaming because my headphones gave up the ghost. As I rode I considered drivers here. You know I've never felt that whoosh of a close pass.  If cyclists are everyone and everywhere rather than just an irritant then of course you're going to treat them with respect. 

In Arnhem I cycled uphill to the modern art gallery. They were showing a Ravage retrospective (I had no idea either - it's fashion darling). It turned out to be quite interesting.  They draw everyday - keep your hands busy and ideas will follow.  After the exhibition I went to the cafe and relaxed. Later I cycled through the hilly streets towards a campsite.  The city looks less Dutch than others.  As I got nearer to my destination I checked again and found - after trawling through the reviews- that it was a strictly glamping affair. 

I chose campsite two and on reflection somewhat unwisely made my way here. There is a bar - bonus. It's near a Boots - bonus. It's also just across the water from 'Dreamfields' a blinking loud festival. This isn't a bonus. This is annoying. I'm hoping that's the reason this particular site is quite so manky - the showers haven't been cleaned this weekend never mind just today. 

I'm considering visiting the bar after tea and seeing if it redeems itself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment