I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 20 July 2017

Bad Gandersheim

Today started well. I didn't get far (1km) before noticing a UNESCO world heritage sight called Corvey Abbey. Never one to turn down a visit, I popped in. It was very peaceful and interesting. The library went on for a whole wing and I spent ages looking at obscure English books with titles like: Journal of Sentimental Travels, Truth in the Garb of Fiction and Danger Through Life. 


After that I stopped in the cafe for a coffee and then I stopped at a supermarket. Before I knew it, it was 2 o'clock. 


Well, that made the remaining 50 miles a bit more urgent. I pushed on, battling breezy headwinds and at one point an aggressive automatic lawnmower to get to the site. Allowing google maps to guide me the last 10k, it took me over one final ridge (passing as I did an eagle sitting in a field. It was so big I thought it was a statue until it moved) before arriving at site. 


The site itself is lovely but the toilets are miles away. Between the hills, the headwind and the tent drama, I feel a rest day is imminent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment