I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 7 July 2016

Prague

I'm As Prague was the centre of the great 'it's not possible' train debacle of 2011 and has been the subject of a few unrealised plans since then, I haven't invested that much time planning what I would see if I did finally make it here. I didn't like to tempt fate.  In part that's why I only booked two nights. But also because I knew I'd been keen to get on and start cycling. 

As a result of this unnecessarily fatalistic attitude, I didn't have much idea where I was going or what I was doing. I got myself on a tram and headed townward. I got off when everything looked suitably old and found myself at Charles Bridge. Not too crowded, not too hot. The day was looking good. I got a map and a bottle of water and planned. 

I ate a rather large brunch then wandered up to the castle. Pretty as it is, I chose not to queue with the crowds and opted instead for the peaceful haven of the Loreta. I spent a good hour looking at the treasures there before heading back down the hill towards the river. 

Next stop was the Kafka museum.  I'm trying not to say that it was suitably kafkaesque but there was some disconcerting music and corridors lined with filing cabinets. A disappointing selection of postcards though. 

I got stuck in pedestrian traffic trying to get to the clock and taking random turns away from the hubbub ended up somewhere else. I located myself again and nodded at Wenceslas square. At the clock I ate tea and watched as it struck the hour. 

After stocking up at Tesco I got the tram 
back to the site (then a second team as the first turned out to be part-route) I reflected on a pleasant day and how sore my sweaty feet were.  Roll on cycling I say. 

I wondered if this was very neat graffiti then I realised it was an Epiphany house blessing. 

This is Saint Wilgefortis complete with real hair and clothes. 

I'm thinking of starting a new photography collection. Lost things. Photo 1: Sock. 


And for my favourite photo collection - a man at work. Wearing a flat cap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment