I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 8 July 2016

Melnik - Day one

Turns out that I'm really not that fit. I can feel my touring muscles hiding there somewhere but as yet, they are undeveloped. By this time next week though I should have thighs of steel. 

Setting off from Prague I did the usual fussing. Where was this? That wasn't quite right, must sort it. Get the 'radio' on (The Trial, Kafka.  I like to be culturally appropriate), But, eventually I got on my way. I sailed along past the botanical gardens and the zoo. Along mile after mile of beautifully paved bike path until eventually I had to rejoin the road to avoid a fabled stretch of unpaved foot wide very high path that didn't sound my cup of tea. As I wound my way up the steep hairpins I congratulated myself. Look no pushing! I did pause for breath but almost fell off when an over enthusiastic guard dog hurled itself at a nearby gate. 

After the descent back to the river I stopped for a coffee noting how popular this route was. Lots of fully loaded tourists just like me. Off again until a picnic lunch somewhere in the shade. 

After eating, leaving the river I cycled though fields of corn, poppies (I'm assuming for seeds?), hops and fruit trees. Even though it was heating up all was idyllic. 

Then of course came The Bridge. I'm following the recommended route. That's why I didn't go along the scary river path. This bridge is recommended, indeed in the time I was there at least 10 other cyclists traversed it. The bridge is not cycle friendly. The ferry I passed a few miles ago was. But I was here now. Luckily for me as I was making my first pass - I went for front panniers, rear panniers then next bike and tent - a group turned up agreeing that we were indeed on the right route. They helped me carry my bike up and more importantly, down. At the bottom we put ourselves back together, I reapplied the sun cream I'd sweated off (half though hard work and half through fear - I really do hate heights) and headed off. 

In the end, that whole escapade (I also stopped to discuss route/camping options with another 6 bag cyclist) took an hour. A good chunk out of my easy first day. 

Eventually I made it past the historic sluice and past the statue of Shreck to this evenings lodging - Autokemp Melnik. The site is conveniently situated next to a supermarket so I rounded my day off with a trip there. 



The little orange signs I've been following. 


The orange sign I had no intention of following. 


The Bridge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment