I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 9 July 2016

Melnik to Usti nad Labem

It's been a bit of a weird day.  Well not weird but it seems like this morning was ages ago. The day split itself into bits and this last bit - on the terrace with a beer - is the best bit. 

Let's start with sleeping in, packing the number thing the site gave me into my neatly folded tent, loading bike, remembering number thing, unpacking...

Today is my first day on the Elbe. Since Prague I've been following the Vltava. I have noted that the Elbe greated me with 20mph head winds. You all know my feelings on headwinds so I'll leave it at that. 

Then I stopped for lunch and met a delightful caterpillar who tried to pinch my bread and cheese.

Every time the river meandered away I hoped this would be it. I'd be out of the wind but no, not really. 

Later I found a cycle cafe and availed myself of their water/loos. As I was leaving I noticed another little caterpillar hitching a lift in my shoe. Designed as they are, not to let go, they're a bugger to remove gently. 

Then there was my first umleitum - a word I know from my Danube travels - a diversion. That at least took me out of the wind. 

Arriving and still feeling good (ish) I decided to cycle past the first of my possible sites and carry on 10k to the other. That was a mistake. The next site seemed to be hosting a gathering. The logo looked rather fascist and I did an about turn. Being stuck in a field with a load of - insert relevant words here - isn't something I'm willing to do. 

Amazing what a second wind disgust can give you. The next site was 20k away and my easy second day was beginning to look distinctly long and trying. 

I ate some boiled sweets and cheered up when I saw a boat with a rainbow flag. 

The path switched between challengingly bumpy and wonderfully smooth.  Eventually I found the sign for this nice little Cyclekemp campsite. I pitched, took a freezing cold communal shower and made tea. Eventually I persuaded myself that I should go and have a beer. 

Cause I'm in the Czech Republic and cycling and really really, that's what you do. 

Signal is very poor so photographs (of caterpillars) to follow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment