I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Magdeburg

I've had a relaxing day and solved some problems along the way. 

1. Gloves. 

I got some gloves to replace the ones I left at a site in the Czech Republic. I'd replaced them once but with a pair that turned out to be far too big. (Men's 8 1/2 if anyone wants them?) Today I found an almost exact replacement for the ones I lost. Only this pair - the singular women's choice - are pink. An annoying habit in bicycle clothing. 

2. A stand

My stand snapped. It actually snapped. So I got one of those too. Hopefully this one is better engineered as it fixes to the bike at two points. The last one just went round the tube and so had a very annoying habit of twisting around said tube causing either the bike to fall or preventing the pedals from turning. 

3. A bell

I left my bell on my other bike. Ringing a bell is better than shouting. Especially if you're not sure exactly what to shout. The bell is green. 

4. Gas

Easily located it turns out.  I took my tiny emergency container and asked in my best German - have you got that? Turns out they did. So I got one big one, a replacement emergency one and made a lovely cup of coffee when I got home. 

5. A train ticket 

Also negotiated in German (get me! Get Google translate!) to get me to Cruxhaven tomorrow with a bike. 

After all the practicalities were addressed I had a mooch round the shops, remembered that I didn't have any room to carry anything else and so left the shops. I then looked around the rather interesting cathedral before heading back to the tent. 

Now, as I'm being eaten by insects and already far too itchy with bites, I shall retire into said tent and have an early night ready for an early start and complicated train journey tomorrow. 



More interesting architecture. Not quite in a Bauhuas vibe. 



Bikes, man's most practical invention. 




The L'al Lass in her slip awaiting her new wardrobe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment