I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 12 July 2015

L'Isle Jourdain

Another unremarkable - although enjoyable - day of cycling. It's amazing what a difference a day makes. I felt fighting fit and didn't mind the climbs*. When a proper cyclist passed me I was negotiating my way up the last part of a hill. I've no idea how long he'd been enjoying my singing (Pulp, The North is Rising, I was having a moment) but, the fact that I still had enough breath left to sing impressed me, if not him. 

I stopped for picnic lunches in a couple of places but, I'm that conscious of beating the heat that I don't really linger.  Although the tail breeze kept me going (the difference it makes to not be pushing into a head wind is immense) and there were quite a few shady patches, I was still flagging by 2 o'clock. 

So here I am again at a campsite enjoying the shade. It's not exactly luxurious (but for €4, what is?). I thought at first the facilities were of the 'hole in the floor' variety but have found a fully functioning loo with a seat. The shower looked as if it really had seen better days but, that too turned out to be great. Adjustable temperature and everything. 

I've been having a chat with the campsite cat. She isn't impressed by my veggie food offerings but persists in trying to convince me to feed her. She looks rather skinny. Maybe she's hanging around because she coordinates so well with my tent. 

A remarkably persistent hitch hiker 

Scary statue thingamy 

The coordinating cat. Obviously.


And to the knitting. I've been working away at The Little Fella a kit bought at Wool Fest (From Baa Ram Ewe for those wanting to make their own). I've been waiting until he is decent. He is in his holiday gear - I'm working on his vest at the moment. And a name. 

*probably cause they were proper - little- climbs. Rolling hills. They get you up to the top and the you get to enjoy being at the top. I still dislike climbs that just take you to the top and then you go back down again. Then up and down. Very like a yoyo. Unlike a yoyo I never get into any kind of rhythm and can't even enjoy the descent cause I'm concentrating on the up coming up.  



No comments:

Post a Comment