Today's ride was 50km long. Not the longest day but, a decent length. Of that ride, 7km was to get out of Utrecht, then the next 30 were along one canal. One bend (the only bend) lasted 3km. I crossed over it once at kilometre 28.
I did not see a cafe. I ate lunch under a bridge.
I passed 2 ladies who were out for a walk. They commented with pride about the excellent bike paths. There is a lot of pride about the bike facilities. I've been told it's the best country in the whole wide world to cycle in several times. Me, the 30km canal and the 17mph consistent cross wind beg to differ. Lovely as the infrastructure is, I find the flatness and straightness a bit discombobulating. The Dutch seem very happy with it though.
Eventually I crossed over several other canals, motorways and railway tracks until I hit the growing suburbs of northern Amsterdam. Stopping only for a bridge to open and then a smaller bridge to be delivered I arrived at the campsite feeling very much like I'd done a good long session at the gym.
The following photos give an accurate feeling of the day -
Unexpected rain shower, tent packed up very quickly and mostly dry. Towel left to dry in mesh bag. (Towel did not dry).
Canal path
Canal path
Canal path
Alternative view for variety and interest.
Canal path
Lunch
Bridge
Canal from bridge
Canal path
Canal path
Amsterdam
Amsterdam















No comments:
Post a Comment