I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 20 July 2023

Hirtshals 2023

That turned out to be quite a long day. 

First port of call after packing up was the Museum for Papirkunst. An interesting little place with exhibitions of art made from paper. This included paper cuttings inspired by Hans Christian Anderson and by Binderbreve - delicately cut letters gifted to lovers. These contained a riddle and a wish that was fulfilled should the knot of the riddle become undone. 


Artist: Bit Vejle


After that a brief stop off at the shops and then onto the seaside town of Lokken where I had decided I’d stop for lunch. Of course, most restaurants were fish based but I did eventually find somewhere that did an appetising sounding pokebowl. It didn’t look great when it was served with 2 great chunks of raw fish but, after a few attempts I got the correct food, then the correct dressing and eventually even cutlery.  Tasted good in the end. 


Obviously, that debacle took some time so I was later than I’d like for the next part of my journey, this time to see a lighthouse that features on all the promotion for this cycle route. What I hadn’t planned for was the 2km walk to get there but, oh it was worth it. I don’t think the views - over the biggest sand dunes I’ve ever seen - were particularly spectacular. Nor was the lighthouse an especially fine example but, putting the dunes, the lighthouse together with the atmosphere created by devastating wind and I’d say, the experience was worth it. Both exhilarating and exfoliating. 



Rubjerg Knude Fyr - lucky to see it. Wikipedia tells me:  It was expected that the tower would fall into the sea by 2023; however, works to relocate the lighthouse started on 14 August 2019, and on 22 October 2019 the 23 metres (75 ft) high lighthouse, weighing 720 tonnes, was moved 70 m (230 ft) inland on specially built rails.


By the time I’d tromped my way through the sand back to the bike it was almost tea time. And I still had an hour to go. Luckily we have the technology so I booked my campsite online and had a relaxing evening ride. The road surface was excellent, cycling through fields of wildflowers and woodlands I made it to the site in time for supper. 


This post is slightly belated. You may have noticed me mention the wind. It’s windy (more so than average, I checked) and with this comes cold evenings. After yesterday’s extended adventures there was nothing for it but to layer up, cosy down and settle in for an early night

No comments:

Post a Comment