I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Tuesday 25 July 2023

Asaa 2023




Another short ride today.  This time my sightseeing goal was a castle. 

Today was a day with very little wind. Rain yes but, for the first time in what feels like the whole holiday, the breeze was minimal. All in all, this lead to a pleasant ride. 


The castle was built in the main by a formidable character called Ingeborg Skeel. There seem to be lots of stories about her. A hatch in her office to hear the groans of those in the dungeon. Pushing her architect into the moat to prevent him building such a grand home for anyone else. My personal favourite is that she span in her coach on the way to church so as not to waste that valuable time. Obviously she haunts the castle still, moving ever closer from her grave. When she reaches the threshold the whole thing will burn down.  According to Wikipedia all these tales of cruelty are without evidence.  The implication being that successful rich women were not that popular at the time. 


Voergaard Slot now houses an impressive collection of art including Rubén’s , Goya and El Greco. The kind of thing I’m always amazed to see hanging in a private home. It also features a boar skin which - if removed - will hail the destruction of the castle. By fire, again.  


After my tour (conducted in Danish, I used a written guide and then resorted to Wikipedia to work out the French connection https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voergaard_Castle) I decided to give the cafe a go. None of your national trust scones here, machine coffee and a plastic wrapped muffin but, it did the job. 


A brief ride later (in which the wind began to flex its muscles) I arrived at the campsite.  The pitches are beautiful, the perfect size for my little tent and surrounded by wild flowers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment