I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Thursday 25 July 2019

To Rostock

This morning I visited one last Danish museum, spent the last of my Krone and whiled away a merry half hour looking for ancient stones in a wood. 

The museum was the Museum Obscurum - A bizarre collection of Victorian curiosities. There were the preserved remains of fairies, dragons, vampires and werewolves. Who can say if they’re real or not?   

For my only meal out in Denmark I had to go for nachos. The prices are just high enough to put me off but as I had the cash to spare I went for it.  They were very cheesy and very good. 

Then it was an hour or two to the ferry. It’s hot here, not boiling. However, I have learned through sweaty experience that when I feel too hot it’s best to stop, have a drink, eat something and cool off. Today that meant wandering around a wood with a wet scarf on my head. You do what you have to




As I was wandering I was looking at the map on my phone and trying to not think about the news reports that kept flashing up.  I saw some archaeological sites marked but no details so I went to find them. 

There were several stone circles (not really circles, on further investigation, long barrows) amongst the trees. I sat for a while contemplating history, shared heritage, the nature of time. I watched a small deer run through the woods and listened to the birds sing.  These little unexpected diversions are my favourite part of touring.  Eventually I pulled myself back to the here and now, took off my fetching headdress and got back on the road.

As a final kind goodbye the last 3kms were slightly down hill, slightly wind assisted. 

I stood waiting for the ferry listening to the BBC live feed, despairing. Back in Germany and my site was a little further than I thought - motorways and estuaries making a simple 5k 20 but, the site itself is worth it. It’s a very basic affair but charming. There’s fairy lights in the shower, an occasional sculpture and a tightrope set up for those who feel the need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment