I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 6 July 2019

Hamburg to Itzstedt

I am now officially on tour. Oh the joy. 

I have travelled by train and boat from Edinburgh and, after a luxurious hotel stay last night, am now in my tent after my first touring day of the year. 

Today all I have really done is get out of Hamburg. After deciding that this year I really am going to be relaxed about it, I have started with a half day ride. 

Hamburg is really big. If you look back to the Elbe tour you’ll see that I spent almost a full day negotiating the industrial south of the city. Today I cycled through the (far easier to navigate) residential north. I cycled past the triathlon but didn’t see any of the action then picked up a long flat bike pathed road which I followed here.

I had planned for a picnic but didn’t quite find the right spot (so many houses) and after realising I didn’t have snacks, ate instead in a Netto car park. 

It drizzled and rained on and off but, after being baked last year I didn’t mind. By the time I got to my site the sun was peeking through. 

The site seems quite popular with cyclists and the showers are very swish (no washing up facilities though so I’ve done my dirty dishes in the bathroom sink). I’ve been chatting away to another English cyclist (who has been somewhat annoyed  by pesky headwinds and is heading in the opposite direction to me so maybe this year...) and now (after patting myself on the back for deciding to pack my big coat - it’s a pleasant mid teens but a little chilly for sitting out) I’m in my tent all cosy ready for an episode of Buffy while I do a bit of knitting. 

(Terrible signal so no photos of said swanky bathroom or first night pitch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment