I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Monday 7 August 2017

Kassel Day 3

After two days of constant gallery visits we are officially arted out. Although we could have had another day in town, I managed to persuade Mr H that a change of pace was necessary and so we embarked on an exploration of the local park.  We got the tram and then a bus up and up into the hills. Somehow I hadn't noticed how lumpy Kassel was in previous visits despite cycling to the top of the park before. This time the journey was a bit easier as the bus dropped us at the feet of the Hercules statue that overlooks the town.  

Wilhelmshöhe Bergpark was filled with visitors like us, looking for a Documenta break, making the most of the sunshine and waiting to see the series of water features that run down the hill and to the palace. We followed the cascade to a waterfall, then a bridge and finally a fountain. By the time that was turned on we were safely installed in a little cafe sipping German wine.  The walk down the hill had after all been hard on the legs. 

One last trip into town followed. I succumbed to a souvenir purchase of a Documenta bag. I like the owl motif and you know, project bags...knitting.  

Today we are off to Amsterdam for a final few holiday days before the long journey home. A bit of baggage redistribution may mean we won't cripple ourselves with the one train change but, I'm not hopeful. I'm desperate to put my new bike back together and play with it!  I'm looking forward to a ride round Amsterdam tomorrow. I'm even toying with just riding to the ferry port but, given my history of getting lost leaving Amsterdam I may have to do a bit of research first.  

No comments:

Post a Comment