I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 7 July 2017

Streefkerk

Ugh. I hate city cycling. It's hot. It's noisy. It's too much navigation for too little distance.  The Hague turns into Delft. Delft turns into Rotterdam. Rotterdam sprawls on and on. 

The signs I'm following are a little difficult to locate at times. That was a bit of a problem. The map I'm following has exactly zero useful navigation points so it's difficult to use (if you deviate from the signs it's useful to be able to use say a great big zoo or the great big central station to find yourself but no). Then Delft chucked in a load of road works and I was totally confused. I circled the city twice. 

It was on my way out at last the I happened upon the Atelier Kleirrijk Vilt (www.kleurrijkvilt.nl) A stuffed to the gills with colour fantastic little wool shop. Monique and I were introduced by her neighbour and got chatting - she's going to Yarndale! So despite my diversions I left Delft with a smile. And no more wool. But only because I have no more room. 

To Rotterdam. Rotterdam is meant to be a great city to visit but I wasn't feeling it today. I'd finally got my navigation sorted and after stocking up on evening supplies I continued on. I suspect Rotterdam works best with hotels. 

At last I made it out of the urban sprawl by means of a ferry over to Kinderdijk. The windmills were being viewed by no less than 3 Viking tours (those of the day time tv adverts) but I carried on past them and got a whole row of windmills to myself. 

By that point my stomach was rumbling. Much as I was enjoying cycling along with the dragonflies I did want to stop soon so I checked our sites.  Of course I could have gone the extra 30k but I felt ok with the 67 (most of it in a smog of urban confusion) so stopped here.  

Here is a tiny little a la farm campsite with great showers.  Tomorrow I'm planning a quiet rural day with lots of picnics. 


1 comment:

  1. It was nice meeting you !! See you at Yarndale Sarah booked today a flight airbnb and a train ticket
    Have a save trip !!
    Monique

    ReplyDelete