I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 29 July 2017

Potsdam - day 2

Potsdam, as it turns out, is a lovely place to visit.  After a leisurely breakfast I enjoyed a ride along the lake into the town. First I stopped at a bike shop for a spare inner tube and a better bell, one that is suitable for city cycling in the rain.  I saw a front basket in the sale and bought it too. My other bike wouldn't fit one and I find it useful. Silver linings and all that. 

I meandered into the town and found a summery seaside atmosphere. The sun was shining, there was music and markets. I got myself some jeans and a dress in more sales because as of tomorrow I shall be a proper person again, not a scruffy cyclist and I'd like to wear something other than the trousers I have on. Or cycling shorts. They are not quite hotel attire. 

I walked around the Dutch quarter and found a wool shop. I got some black wool for Cable Cat's face and looked for buttons for his eyes. If I hadn't just bought a bike I might well have indulged myself in a purchase, but I stayed strong.  Just. 

For dinner I found a rather upmarket Vegan cafe which for once meant I had to read the menu properly rather than scan for a meat free option. I ended up with a baked potato with olive taparnard.  Not a combination I'd choose again but tasty nevertheless. 

After wandering around more little shops I set off on a self guided Schloss tour.  I looked around the gardens of Schloss Sanssouci then onto the Ornangerie, the Neues Palais and finally to the Chinesisches Haus.  They are all impressive and beautiful buildings. 

Finally I bought myself back to the campsite and had a little paddle. (Not past my knees as per my by now rather fraught Mother's instructions). This evening I plan to knit Cable Cat a head and stuff him with the innards of a cushion I bought (in the sale) specifically for that purpose. 

Tomorrow - all being well - I'll cycle into Berlin, maybe indulge in a selfie or too, and then relax in my hotel. In the evening I'll be off to the airport to meet my (also by now rather fraught) other half and onto Sarah's Summer Adventure, part two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment