I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 17 July 2016

Wittenberg to Aken

I'm not hopeful that this blog will post but let's give it a go. 

I left the Wittenberg campsite in thick drizzle. For once I wasn't the last cyclist off. Everyone else seemed to think the weather would ease up (and was probably as grumpy as me about the stupidly loud wedding party last night and the unexpected - after most people were asleep- fireworks) I had no such optimism. On the plus side it was far less windy than of late. 

My first 'visitor attraction' of the day was the Coswig Ferry. The Coswig Ferry is a reaction ferry. It is propelled across the river using the current and winches. It is a very sedate way to cross a river. 

After that I was in Worlitz Park, part of the larger Dessau- Worlitz Garden Realm. It's a wildlife spotter's paradise. I saw plenty of hovering kestrels and other nameless (to me at least) birds of prey. It was all very pretty so I stopped riverside for a picnic. 

The second 'visitor attraction' of the day was Dessau itself and its famous Bauhaus school. Throughout the city there are examples of Bauhaus design and I took myself to the Meisterhauser. The houses have been rebuilt to original plans. The first house is plain, the second decorated in 1920s colours and the third in 1930s colours - a lot paler than one might imagine. I was quite taken by it all. Especially when I realised how much cupboard space there was (although I did have concerns about heating in the winter). 

After my day dreaming I set off again on the final leg to Aken. My campsite tonight is part of a boat club. It's very quiet. 

Tomorrow I should reach Magdeburg, the Elberadweg half way point. Plans at the moment are to catch a train to the river mouth and then cycle back to here. After that to aim for Berlin. These plans are, as ever, subject to change. Especially as this is version three of my final descion on what to do next. 


Coswig Ferry





No comments:

Post a Comment