I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Friday 15 July 2016

Lutherstaft Wittenberg

I've decided that I've had rather enough of the weather. Rain is fine but the headwind is killing me.  I've discussed headwinds before. Like cycling up hill. In this case it's been like cycling up hill all day every day.  With none of the variety, satisfaction or descents actual hills provide. I know I said I wasn't fit when I started but 500k later I'm feeling good physically. I'm just zapped by cycling into wind all the time.  And a bit bored. 

With that in mind I have reached this lovely town and have a few choices to make. I can carry on along the Elbe, I can get a train north and cycle back the other way or, I can head east along the conveniently placed Radweg 1. Berlin isn't far. 

I've booked this site for 2 nights. It took me longer than I expected to get here (I was planning 30k so was all relaxed in the morning but it ended up being 50 and progress is really really really slow. ) and I want to look around.  

Today's ride (apart from the wind) was good. I found a shop and got lunch. I watched kites and other massive birds circle in the sky and got caught in a flock of finches fleeing their tree. I saw a weasel or a stoat or something playing in the path but sadly no caterpillars. I met a nice couple and had a good chinwag (hello!) about cycling and canoeing. I leapfrogged another couple all day. I last saw them sticking sunflowers on their bikes. 

Tonight's site is a yacht club. There's a fancy hotel and then the campsite is hidden behind a wall. I was very impressed with the facilities until the shower flooded. I've got plenty of literature on the area so I'm settling down for the night to plan the next part of my journey. 

Exciting knitting news - finished the main part of l'al lass. Am now taking a break to crochet a hat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment