I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Wednesday 13 July 2016

Dresden, Meissen, Strehla

Today it rained. A lot. Then I visited a factory. Now it's sunny and I'm spending the night in a windmill. Just an another day. 

I left Dresden (reluctantly) shortly before midday. You've got the eek those last few hotel minutes out you know? Heading towards Meissen and I was feeling good. I felt rested and I felt strong. I knew there were thunder storms on the way and knew a soaking was inevitable but, for the first half hour I was ahead of them. My philosophy on rain varies. If a rest day beckons then rain is a handy reason but if I want to get on I go with 'I'm waterproof'. (Unless it's the third day in a row then I tend to be annoyed because by then everything is a bit damp and I can't dry washing and I'm in danger of developing trench foot).  Today I took the waterproof approach. Legs out and cagoule on.

Just as I arrived at Meissen it began to clear. There I was - looking a right drip - in the very posh Meissen factory. First job was to nip to the loos, put long trousers on and try to wring out my hair. Job done I looked almost presentable. 

The museum is (obviously) filled with Meissen porcelain. Quite a lot of it. The bit I was more interested in was the workshop tour, only it wasn't really a workshop tour. It was passing through a series of rooms with makers making a particular element of Meissen ware - cups, figures, glazes etc. They're not daft you know. No state secrets given away here. 

Following my factory visit I had asparagus soup in a cafe visit. Out of a Meissen bowl, obviously. Then, my agenda for the day was complete. All that was left was to cycle. 

40k later and I arrive at my campsite. I'd looked up the website and everything but no, closed. Luckily just a little way back up the hill (that's how I know my fitness has improved, I can happily settle in for climbs) was a youth hostel. 

My German is extremely elementary. It's based on camping and being vegetarian. And even then I can only manage specific responses.  With the manager speaking very slowly and being very kind we managed to get me checked in. 

And the best bit about all of this? The youth hostel is in a windmill. A windmill I tell you!

No signal - we'll see if this posts. Photos to follow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment