I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 5 July 2015

Fougeres to Craon

I'm following a book called France en Velo for part of this holiday. It proposes a route all the way down to Nice. The hills, but more so the heat, of the south don't float my boat so I'm planning to stop somewhere Dordogne-ish and then head somewhere else. According to the book today (Fougeres to Vietre) was the flattest leg of the whole route. Ha. In technical cycling terms, it was lumpy. 

The day started with a thunder storm. That lasted until about half 11 so by the time I got off site I was later than I would like. I was however looking forward to rolling along through some french country side. Maybe an occasional climb. It felt like the whole blinking route was up up up, down a bit, up again. To be fair, I don't think I'm their target audience. Think, more Lycra, less bike. 

Anyway. I survived to Vitre. It being Sunday (I Sundayed up yesterday and so have interspersed the day with picnics) I wandered around a bit and then headed off onto Stage 2 of the day. Lumpy bumpy again until suddenly it all became down hill (lumpy bumpy down hill). 

In amongst the joy of descents I saw a crowd of people waiting on the side of the road. As I passed they clapped and cheered. I felt I deserved it. 

To the campsite just in time, it turns out, I am the only camper. There is one other family in a chalet. It's eerily peaceful. 








.  

No comments:

Post a Comment