I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Saturday 6 April 2024

Pennine Way day 6

 Keld



The last day of my Pennine Trip took us up and over Shunner Fell. I say us because today, dad was joining in the walking. 


Starting amongst showers we were fairly sure would continue for the day, we wandered our way out of Hawes and along the road rather than the sodden fields up to Hardraw. There we left the road and started what turned out to be quite a long ascent up the fell. 


It rained, it was foggy, the path was often tricky under foot. And we climbed. The water was everywhere. 


The top eventually peaked through the crowds and we reached the shelter. The clouds parted just enough to show tantalising glimpses of stunning views. There for lunch and then before we set off again. 


Unusually a descent is at least quicker if not easier than the up hill but this was particularly tough, purely because of conditions under foot. The flag stones that made up a lot of the path were slippy or submerged. Occasionally they disappeared into the marsh leaving little tarns to be worked around. 


At the bottom of the fell I called it. No more mud. The last two miles wouldn't be over another fell or into more fields. We were going road all the way. 


This proved quite pleasant. I was delighted to find we were in Swaledale and so saw Swaledale Sheep in Swaledale. I pointed out it was like Gotland on Gotland but I'm not sure dad shared my joy. 


Getting to Keld was a joy. Met by family and whisked off to get dry clothes and hot drinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment