I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Monday 19 July 2021

Day One, by foot

For many reasons - changing travel restrictions, injury, curiosity - this summer I have decided to leave the bike at home. I couldn’t let another year go by without a journey but I couldn’t really tour by bike either. Fast forward through the research and planning stages and we find me successfully installed on a lovely little campsite with my walking boots by me ready to tackle some (or even all) of the Rob Roy way. 


As for everyone this year’s summer has been a little different. For one thing, it’s been far more casual in the planning. I have no idea how long I will walk each day or how many days I will be walking for. I got a train at about midday from Edinburgh, changed from high level to low level then I got a bus from busy Balloch to a very quiet Drymen.  I got off the little bus and walked the couple of miles out of the village to the site. As I went I was trying to decide the best set up - where should my map, my phone and purse live (no handlebar bag, I’m thrown)?  Fiddling with back pack fit, trying to convince myself that I didn’t need to be carrying enough food to feed myself for a week. After all, the next shop is only a day away. 


I thought maybe I’d bought too much, but then I have repacked about 10 times eliminating things each time. Obviously I’ve got some knitting but only a small project and its vital for my sanity.   Once I saw other walkers heave their bags onto their backs I felt better. I seem to have about the same amount of stuff and everyone’s bag is extremely heavy. 


All this is very similar to every other tour. The tweeking, the anticipation, the tired legs and taking it slow to start.  The weather is, and is forecast to continue to be, hot hot hot. Long time followers will know I’m not a huge fan of heat and every year I resolve to set off early to beat it. Maybe this year I finally will. 


 

At this point the crickets were chirping, the sky cloudless, the sun beating down and sweat pouring off me. It all felt very foreign and distinctly unscottish. 










No comments:

Post a Comment