I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Sunday 5 August 2018

Paris

Hello!

I realise I’ve been a bit lax on the blogging front but, I’m still here. 

So, what’s been happening?

I had a second in Paris this time by bus and by metro.  I had another almost perfect day out. Firstly I went to a well known wool shop (La Droguerie) where they - contrary to their reputation - were very smiley and helpful. I bought myself a couple of mini cones of mohair to add to my on going Westknits mad marled scarf / blanket. Then I found there was another shop near by and wandered along there. At Lil Weasel I purchased again, this time a couple of skeins of Socks Yeah to kindly give to my mum to make me socks with. 


In this shop you have to ask for the weight you’d like and they measure it for you. This isn’t how woolshops usually work and would somewhat test my French. Luckily I just wanted two of those little cones in the front. I can do colours, pointing and paying. 

Sticking around that area I had a falaffely lunch and then went along to the Pompedu Centre to meet Anne, a friend from school (22 years since we last saw each other!) We has coffee and a lovely catch up then said our good byes with promises not to leave it so long next time. 

On the way to the Metro I passed an old squat that is now artists studios. Although it looks very photo worthy I wasn’t particularly impressed by the work I saw. It was all very heavy on the acrylics with lots of angst and nothing to say. Disappointed I moved on. This time I went to the Palais de Tokyo. It opens until midnight and the exhibition included walking through a scaled up dolls house. That was far more interesting. I particularly liked Ring Sing and Drink for Tresspassing by Laure Prouvost. I like a large scale dystopian installation.  The work that made the greatest impression was Ugo Rondinone. I walked into a room full of hyper realistic life sized clowns relaxing under a rainbow sky and had to take a moment to check none were breathing. Even then walking around I felt nervous, as if one would suddenly jump up. They all had different moods, an infinite loop of a day in the life. 


In an ideal world...

After that it was back to the hotel with a picnic tea, packing up and getting ready for the train to Dieppe tomorrow. I had considered staying in Rouen or cycling the last 30 miles but I’m rather put off by the ongoing heatwave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment