I thought of that while riding my bicycle.

Tuesday 2 August 2016

Hohenwarthe

Today I had a bike ride to Burg. It's always liberating to ride an unladen bike -  easy, quick. But it's also strange. It feels like it takes different muscles. And it feels flighty. I'm used by now to all manoeuvres taking a while and a bit of a push. A loaded bike isn't what you'd call a responsive machine although once you have momentum on your side it's a surprisingly efficient one. So the ride to Burg (12km) was quick. Exploring the town was quick - it has a factory, many broken windows and a regeneration project going on. After I'd seen the 'sites' I had a coffee, sandwich and a giant jam donut. When I went to get some cash I found a bakery in a bank. A novel idea.

Tonight is my last night looking over the river. I'm glad I did it this way. Glad I didn't end up in overcrowded Cuxhaven. This little site - Unser Paradies appropriately - is perfect. It's a campsite with breakfast, evening meal and even a bed if you'd like it. I've had a relaxing few days here just watching the river flow by. 

Tomorrow I'll cycle back into Magdeburg and get the train to Hamburg where I'll meet Mr H. for a city break. Obviously I'm looking forward to seeing him. The thought makes me grin from ear to ear. I'm looking forward to showers that don't have timers and a break from the beasties (although most bites are healed beyond itching now) but, let's be clear, I'll miss my little tent and I'll miss riding my bike. 




No comments:

Post a Comment